Saturday, November 10, 2012

YALSA and Ally Condie's Reached

Hi everyone!

 It has been forever since I have posted. Lame I know. Grad school is keeping me very busy, and this semester I have been learning about collection development. While doing some research I came across a couple of cool things from ALA's (American Library Association) YALSA (young adult library services association). I just downloaded the FREE app titled "YALSA's Teen Book Finder". Search for it in the app store if you use an apple product. It is awesome and so easy to use. Also, for free from YALSA's website, I downloaded their awesome "Ultimate YA Bookshelf List". You can access it here:
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/professionaltools/yabookshelf.

I don't know about ya'll but I am anxiously awaiting the release of Ally Condie's Reached next week (on the 13th!!). I am hoping my brother will be able to get the book signed for me at Ally's stop in the Chicago area (where he lives).  If you haven't heard of her, please check out her website here:

http://allycondie.com/books#reached_book

I highly recommend her books. I love anything set in a dystopian world, and I am excited to see how she ends the series. She uses poetry from our time in her novels, and I think that is pretty awesome.
Happy book hunting and reading. :)

Patrina

2 comments:

  1. I liked Ally Condie's first two in this trilogy (Matched and Crossed) but haven't read the third yet. How is it, Patrina? I also liked her use of poetry (subversive, underground, BANNED poetry!) in the books, not just thematically, but also as a driving force for plot and characters. I always hope that this kind of reference will send readers to the originals, which could turn them on to who knows what other poems and poets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dr. Jones! :)
    I loved Reached! Since posting, my awesome brother gave me the signed copy of it. Condie uses more poetry in it, which I just adore. I agree with you- I myself went searching for the original poems. Reached is a bit more lengthy than the first two in the series, but the twists and turns in the plot keep it suspenseful. A couple middle schoolers I worked with at my old campus read the series and they both enjoyed it! I just started reading Nothing by Janne Teller for my Children's/YA lit class this semester and it is very interesting. Have you read it? Hopefully I will post about it here soon. I had to start a blog for the lit class. Please check it out if you can! I just started it, so it's in the rough stages. I hope all is well with you! :) readreviewandrepeat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete